TIERRA ALTA VARIETALES – TANNAT – BODEGA SPINOGLIO – CAMINO MENDOZA 8238 – MONTEVIDEO – I.NA.VI. 310 2009 13%
VISUAL ANALYSIS: limpid, ruby with purple red reflections and endowed of a good body.
OLFACTORY ANALYSIS: red fruit, blueberry jam, olives, wild rose, grass and a toasted smell.
GUSTATIVE ANALYSIS: a dry wine with a medium alcoholic dryness; quite soft and quite fresh at the palate; some mineral notes tend to come out but the prominent sensation is the astringency of the young tannats; very well structured with a final berries flavoured and a touch of bitterish tendency; the gustative aromatic persistency is about 4/5 seconds.
WINE-FOOD COMBINATION: goat cheese (queso de cabra)
- The sweet tendency of the cheese is counterbalancing the bitterish sensation of the wine
- The succulence of the cheese is compensating for the astringency of the tannins
- The sweet tendency of the cheese is counterweighing the sapidity (mineral salts) of the wine
- The structure of the recipe is matching to the structure of the wine
- The gustative persistence of the cheese is pairing with the aromatic persistence of the wine
MY PERSONAL OPINION: before starting the tasting, I was thinking about a very well structured and tannic wine, while at the first contact with the palate, I have discovered a well round wine, also ideal for a conversation. It sounds like a wine which is inviting you to go ahead with the sipping.